Tuesday, July 29, 2014

This Is It

Our journey has started and it has already been crazy. Bethany and I found each other pretty early on at the airport so we walked through everything together and boarded our plane only a few seats apart from each other. I was able to meet and start talking to my neighbor who oddly enough was also from South Jordan! She had just moved there in April to follow her husband's job and her two daughters had just come out in June to join them. The daughters are both swimmers and are practicing with Bingham this summer for the upcoming season. She is an awesome lady and was great to talk with for the trip. I found out she had been investigating The LDS Church in New Jersey before they moved, and when coming here took the lessons from the Missionaries and actually has a baptismal date for
August 23rd
with her daughter! I was so happy for both of them. She seemed really happy as well.:) 
Well, Right as we landed in LA and I got cell service, I got a voicemail from an unknown number and then some text messages from a girl from Rachel's ward down in New Mexico. I haven't written anything the past couple days because so much has happened and changed I didn't know where to start or how to collect my thoughts. Now, however, I have to share a new change that has happened because it won't be a secret for long. Friday night after a few phone calls, we were told that baby Sis Wilcock would be returning home from her mission due to illness. The little trooper has been trying to work through some pretty intense stomach issues the past two months and with another really bad day this past week, the decision was made that it would be best if she came home and focused on her health.... Words I heard not too long ago almost at this same time of year. (Rach likes to copy me...;) So we waited to hear from the Stake President Monday to see when she would be coming home. Rach and I had talked and although it was kinda hard that this was happening and the timing was so interesting with me leaving, we knew that Heavenly Father had things in control and we just needed to practice our faith and trust Him. I had no idea He was working something special for us. Well, Monday came and President Maxfield let us know that she was to be flying home Wednesday night. Way earlier than we thought but oddly enough, one day after me! Haha My sisters joked that obviously the Lord knew they couldn't have both of us gone so at least one sister had to be home. ;) It was hard letting it sink in that I would miss her...but at the end it would really be three months earlier than I thought I would see her anyways and I could wait and would have to wait until October. I spent my last day preparing my room for her and doing all the Welcome home stuff I could. We even pulled out my cardboard cut-out of me as a missionary that my family used on my mission for all the weddings I missed. I would be at the airport in some shape and form..;) Well, during Bethany and I's adventures in the airport which included a free checked bag, carrying my bags around searching for baggage claim, waiting for her friend to come pick us up while trying not to pass out from exhaustion on the small little plastic chairs in the baggage claim, I found out that Rachel's flight plans had been changed and that she would be coming in tonight... And that in her new flight plans that were arranged late last night, she would have a layover in LA for a few hours before heading home to Salt Lake. 
I am in LA and we don't fly out until 11:30pm this evening... One of the longest "layovers" I've ever had and now accompanied with one of the greatest tender mercies and miracles I've ever witnessed. The Lord is allowing me and Rach to see each other before she gets home and I leave for Tonga!!! I've been partially in disbelief and partially numb with humility of the power and love of our Heavenly Father. Rach told me she had been praying that something would happen to allow us to see each other. Humble, faithful prayers of a missionary have been answered and my heart couldn't be more full of gratitude to my Heavenly Father for allowing me such an opportunity as to see my little sister, my best friend, before we both start new chapters in our lives, once again apart. 
I know things happen for a reason and whether they be good or bad they all have a purpose. I couldn't have asked for a more needed start to my trip and more importantly for Rachel's time in recovery. He hears us and loves us.:) 



No comments: