Sunday, April 26, 2015

happy new year

I don't know exactly when it started, but my birthday has turned in to more of a "new year" for me. I get all excited the week before my birthday comes and very "pondering" as my Francisita, Hermana Gonzales would say... (; But I do become very thoughtful. I start to reflect over the past year and what has taken place since my last birthday. I think about what I was doing in family life, in school, in work, in relationships around this time last year, and then I think about this coming year and what it has to offer and even more exciting and nerve wracking all at once, all the unknown adventures and challenges that lie ahead as well.


I have loved being 25. I think I can say it was one of my favorite years alive so far. Haha And as humorous as that sounds, it is the truth. (: I remember when my birthday was rolling around last year I was very aware of how close the end of my schooling was and that my days as a college student were coming to an end. I remember feeling like something big was coming that year but I didn't know exactly what it was.....(; I just knew I better have my feet planted and my faith anchored for whenever it came. I remember trying to make the decision to leave to Tonga for my student teaching around this time last year as well. It was a tough decision. As I reflect on that memory and time period I get blown away by thinking of what my life would be like now had I not gone.
I look back over the year and feel humbled by all the miracles and tender mercies the Lord provided. I have been reading the Book of Mormon again and today I found myself reading the fourth chapter of 2 Nephi. The entire chapter touched my heart, but these verses particularly: "v20. My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep. v.21. He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh".
I instantly related to these beautiful words by Nephi. My Heavenly Father never left my side as very large doors were shut in my life which took me to my "wilderness", and then he continued to lead me along through everything until new, even bigger doors opened and I was literally "upon the waters of the great deep" where I was preserved to carry out the plans He had for me all along.


The wilderness is a rough place to be sometimes, and in our own metaphorically small tattered boats on the waters of the great deep where we find ourselves some times, it can be extremely difficult and lonely. I have become to be grateful for these times, however, as during these times I tend to look to my Heavenly Father the most and allow myself to become so open and vulnerable to His will and direction, I always find myself in the most unique, amazing situations. And whenever I feel like the unique situation is not all that amazing and I'm wondering what I am to learn from it, I reflect back on the verses in Doctrine and Covenants 6:14, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, blessed art thou for what thou hast done; for thou hast inquired of me, and behold, as often as thou hast inquired thou hast received instruction of my Spirit. If it had not been so, thou wouldst not have come to the place where thou art at this time." Boom. That part inspires me and keeps me going when I feel confused or my patience runs out. As we keep the Lord in-tuned with our plans, He will keep us in-tune with His.


Well, it is midnight and I am now entering my 27th year of being on this beautiful planet and will officially turn 26 in 8 hours. (: I want to say thank you to all of those that have helped me get to this place where I am now. I wouldn't be here without my parents, my sisters, my family, my friends, my professors, my coworkers, my neighbors, and new acquaintances....each of you has had an influence on me of who I am and who I am becoming. Year 2-6 holds a lot of dreams for me. I'm graduating from University (officially with cap and gown) this Friday morning. I could possibly be teaching in my own classroom and with my own students as an art teacher this fall. And the greatest, most humbling, most exciting dream to come to pass........ I will be getting married this summer.
The details of emotions and thoughts that go along with each of these will have to wait for another post, but for now, on my New Year, as I begin life at 26, I want to commit myself to a few goals I gained from Nephi as I continued reading his words. I will gain a few more hats to wear this year as I become a wife, a daughter and sister-in law, a teacher, a staff member, a friend, a mentor, and the possibility of becoming a new mommy.......I want to dedicate my New Year to these bold, loving, and true words from Nephi: "v.28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul. v29 Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions. v30 Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation."


I love the opportunity to learn and grow as we are stretched from year to year; day to day. The Lord has yet again heard my prayers and answered them perfectly. There are new challenges and adventures that are yet to be had, and I hope to meet them with a grateful, happy heart; a kind, and helpful demeanor, and forever and always, with my Savior as my constant guide and rock. I can't wait to move forward into my new life as a college graduate and a new wife. I know there is yet heaps of new stretching to be done, and as I prepare myself for these new changes, I feel the excitement begin to rise because I know there are good things coming! The flesh is weak, but the spirit is strong, and I will end this post and begin my New Year with the words of Nephi: "Nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted".


BRING IT ON 26! I'm ready (:

No comments: